Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Two Degrees of Pass Interference?

That's what Niners coach Mike Nolan thinks there ought to be, as a former defensive back himself. The FanHouse dug up this bit of Nolan saying there should be 15-yard infractions and spot fouls, much in the way face masks have degrees for intentional and unintentional.

Much like Michael David Smith, I am intrigued by Nolan's idea and wish to subscribe to his newsletter; however, I'm not sure how we would differentiate between the types of PI to make it worthwhile. However, I'm all for stopping the "throw deep and see if we can get a flag" strategy that occasionally happens to pop up in pro games. The spot foul is devastating, but it's not like 15 yards and a fresh set of downs is exactly a light sentence. If pushed, I'd probably side with the college rule for pass interference for 15 yards and a first down.

What confuses me more is the difference between O-holding and D-holding -- why make it 10 for the offense but five and an auto-first for the D?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with this S2N. There shoudl definately be two forms of penalty for the pass inteference; as you say 15 yards and a fresh set of downs is a decent award.

On the holding thing, yeah it seems a bit messed up doesn't it? I hate to say it, but I think they're putting a bit too much emphasis on any holding foul.

Shit, if you're being held just smack the guy in the stomach, that works...

Scrappled said...

15 yards and a first down is more than enough of a penalty. The spot foul is exactly how you describe it -- devastating. I wouldn't mind two degrees of PI, but the spot foul would have to be absolutely egregious. We're talking about a WR with a five yard clearance and a sure touchdown but for the interference.

Signal to Noise said...

sanchez - the refs only call the most egregious of holding half the time, but I can't figure out what differentiates your basic play from a called hold sometimes.

RUTS - agreed. That's not a bad metric; I'm just not sure I trust the NFL and the zebras to call it right or consistently.