Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Bobby Cremins Stayed At South Carolina Longer Than This.


Dana Altman stepped down from his new position as Arkansas Razorbacks hoops coach less than 24 hours after accepting the job, saying that returning to Creighton was "in his family's best interest."

Altman has coached the Bluejays for 13 years and said he made the decision to return to the Omaha, Neb., school after talking to Creighton's athletic director Bruce Rasmussen, then his family.

"After I was sure he would allow me to return, I talked to my wife," Altman said. "This is something I'm doing for my family. I wish I would have come to that decision earlier."

Aren't you supposed to check with them before you make a move like this? Just a thought, Dana. But this looks even worse for Frank Broyles: not only did he screw up royally by firing former coach Stan Heath in the first place in an effort to get Texas A&M coach Billy Gillispie to leave College Station, but he can't even get his sixth or seventh option to stick around. If Broyles wasn't scheduled to retire after next football season, Hogs fans would be calling for his head. Now, they'll just have to grin and bear it.

6 comments:

The Big Picture said...

that's gotta be some sort of record.

Signal to Noise said...

Cremins had three days, Majerus spent a week with USC -- but I haven't found anyone who quit after 24 hours. Shows you just how toxic Fayetteville is right now, I guess.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, this guys is whipped. If you know what I mean.

Anonymous said...

While the whole thing has become a mess, letting Stan Heath go was not a bad thing. His teams consistently underperformed and lacked discipline and passion. It's terrible timing there to be looking for a new coach however. Oh well, whomever it winds up being, I will support.

Phony Gwynn said...

He's now back to #2 on my favorite sports Dana's list behind Dana Barros.

Eric (Extra P.) said...

Where's Dana Stubblefield on your list?

My grandparents used to live in Arkansas. Bugs, snakes, humidity, and hillbillies. I'd live in Omaha the rest of my life before spending another 24 hours in Arkansas.

I'll be interested to hear what really happened. There's got to be more to the story, and it will start to leak soon.