Thursday, January 04, 2007

never worked a day in his life.

George Will in one sentence: "There should be no minimum wage because the free market will always pay people what they are worth, making it unnecessary in the first place."

A-not-totally-unrelated-anecdote:
Bartender: "So, what do you do for work?"
Me: "I work in news."
Bartender: "Gotcha; you don't work."

I think he would use the same line on Will. Free-marketeer logic dictates labor is always a thing; it could not possibly be human and thus need money to live. The minimum wage actually allows workers to bargain; to know when a shitty job is a shitty job.

But again, George Will went from political adviser and consultant to pundit ; he never had an honest day's work in his life. Neither have I, but I wouldn't play it off like I had in order to screw people over that do actual manual labor.

No comments: