Monday, February 05, 2007

what did alcohol do to deserve this?

You may recall that San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom had to make an embarrassing public apology last week, admitting to fucking his ex-campaign manager's wife (while said woman was one of his secretaries). Now he's pulling the same old lame cop-out and seeking treatment for alcohol abuse.

"I take full responsibility for my personal mistakes and my problems with alcohol are not an excuse for my personal lapses in judgment." -- Newsom, in a written statement.

I call shenanigans.

I'm not making "rehab is for quitters" jokes. I'm here to stick up for booze, because it gets dissed and blamed all the time in America these days, and it isn't fair. Booze has become the favorite excuse of politicians after a scandal: Mark Foley pulled the alcohol abuse card after getting caught sending nasty IMs to pages, and he followed the book on it. Going into rehab for alcohol abuse is a script now for any politician doing something stupid, corrupt, and/or illegal.

Let's revisit Wanda Sykes on Foley, just for fun:

2 comments:

Wes Wolfe said...

Whoa. I just wrote basically the same thing over at Drunk Pundit. Except, you know, I used the word "fuck" way more often.

Signal to Noise said...

The extra "fucks" make it better. Also the inclusion of "wang" helps. I need to work on my use of profanity.