Monday, February 05, 2007

boring? really?

I know the Super Bowl wasn't the most visually exciting spectacle and a turnover-laden fest, but I'm not sure where people are getting that the Colts' victory was crappy, boring, or dull. I mean, call me nuts if you watched the game and thought "boring", but anyone used to watching the Bears' offense all season knew they could be absolute shite based on how Grossman was playing, yet maybe put it together and pull it out. That game wasn't really completely over until the fourth quarter, and most of the time, that's all you can ask of a Super Bowl; that it not be a Bucs over Raiders style blowout.

I would accept that my viewing experience probably colored the boring part; I may not be thinking solely of the game, and Devin Hester's kickoff TD may have set the bar too high for excitement. We were needling the Colts fan in our group throughout the game with chants of "Peyton is a pussy!" while watching the Sex Cannon fall apart throughout the game.

However, I think we can all agree that the commercial quality was low this year.

5 comments:

Pacifist Viking said...

The problem is a full game's worth of excitement got pumped into the first quarter (tons of big plays). I had fun watching the whole thing, though.

Scrappled said...

I thought it was a good enough game. It was still competitive in the fourth quarter, what more does anyone else want?

It's like nobody remembers the Super Bowl blowouts of the early and mid 90's.

The Almighty Ajax said...

If I hadn't been personally invested in the outcome, I might have gotten impatient with the telecast, which featured a lot of views from cameras that were 3/4 fogged over due to conditions on the field. But what're you gonna do, it was raining.

The turnovers were sort of a problem as well, because the majority of them weren't so much "wow, what an amazing defensive effort!" turnovers as "Olin Kreutz just snapped the ball sideways" turnovers. That's the kind of stuff that causes a Bears fan's testes to retract and makes the game a lot less enjoyable.

One More Dying Quail said...

My favorite part of the Super Bowl was late in the third quarter, when I spent twenty minutes trying to explain to my wife why Rex Grossman is known as "Sexy Rexy", "The Sex Cannon" and "The Cumslinger".

I finished it off by reading her Big Daddy Drew's "Fuck It. I'm Throwing It Downfield." (or whatever the hell it was called - KSK is trying to freeze my computer right now). She was not as impressed as I was.

Signal to Noise said...

My female co-viewers were calling Grossman "Sexy Rexy" all on their own without having read KSK at all. It was awesome.

Ajax, for all the Bears turnovers and blame on Grossman, I really thought that one was on Kreutz -- you'd think a team used to playing in bad weather would just have snapping and handling in rain DOWN.